Monday, June 1, 2009

Keep Your Lips to Yourself!

UGH! I had a different post planned, but while I was channel surfing, a special report caught my short attention span to discuss President Obama's nomination of the Honorable Sonia Sotomayor as his choice for the next United States Supreme Court Justice. President Obama did a nice introduction of Ms. Sotomayor and then turned to let her take the podium. He shook her hand. . . and then kissed her. Ugh!

That just drives me crazy! This goes back to the presidential election and debates. Whenever Hillary Clinton or Sarah Palin were introduced or greeted by a man, they shook hands. . . and then they were kissed. On the cheek, of course, but I can't stand this.

It's not that I'm a crazy feminist--I enjoy having doors opened for me. It's not that I'm anti-kissing -- I got used to this kiss greeting long ago. So I have no problem with the kiss greeting IN A SOCIAL SETTING.

But presidential and vice presidential debates? No.

Political rallies? No, again.

Introducing a highly regarded judge as a nominee to our nation's highest court? Sorry, still NO!

Did Barack Obama and John McCain kiss before their debates? Um, no. Do President Obama and VP Biden smooch when they pass in the halls of the White House? I'm guessing not. Biden and Palin upon meeting? Yes. Ms. Clinton and Obama? Yes, again.

What's the difference here? They do it when a woman is in the picture. And maybe they're just trying to be chivalrous or courteous or something, but JUST STOP IT.

If women want to be treated as equal, intellectual, level-headed, capable human beings (not being noticed for only their gender, as a woman or as a man), then they must be treated as an equal in all settings -- including introductions. If a man, as a manager or supervisor, interviews a woman for a position with his company, would the man kiss the female interviewees cheek after being introduced to her? Would the female interviewee EXPECT to be kissed on the cheek -- at any point in time during this PROFESSIONAL situation?

It's just not appropriate. This is not a social setting.

It is the international political stage.

If Joe and Sarah are meeting for drink -- fine, smooch away. Political debate? Keep your lips to yourself, thank you very much.

No comments: