Wednesday, September 23, 2009

I'm Baaaaaack!

Well then! It has been forever since I have blogged on a regular basis. Lots to catch you up on and tons of things I want to get on my soap box about!

Let's begin with the public outrage that President Obama allegedly approved, and more importantly whole-heartedly endorsed, the USPS's decision to issue a new 42-cent postal stamp to celebrate the Muslim holiday, Eid. There appears to be an outcry that by having a stamp celebrating a Muslim holiday, we, as American citizens, are somehow unpatriotic, choosing to thumb our noses at the memory of September 11th, and thereby are choosing to support all religious zealots who consequently must be Muslim. Right?

Seriously, people?! How can we be so small minded?

I do not follow how the government releasing a Muslim-themed holiday stamp leads to anyone who purchases the stamps to be classified as unpatroic and therefore choosing to spit on the memory of September 11th.

I have received no fewer than three emails this week imploring and instructing me to boycott the Eid stamp because all Muslims are evil fanatics. I find these emails to be vile, close-minded, infantile reminders of how egocentric our culture is. Their messages of intolerance churn my stomach and make my heart ache for the stupidity of a few, un-informed souls who now have access to the grand world wide web and can attempt to poison others through their email blasts. (Much like I am attempting to do by complaining in this blog, eh?)

Let's see what history can teach us. Who remembers what year we elected our first Roman Catholic President?

1961!

And for the record, that would be approximately 185 YEARS after our nation's birth.

Our Bill of Rights clearly states:

"Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances."

Remind me why Catholicism (which I don't personally follow) was deemed so full of deviant characters that our nation had reservations about a Catholic man's qualifications to hold the highest elected office of our grand country? For 185 years?

I had many other fantastic examples of our nation's historical stupidity (women rights movement, slavery, civil rights movement, Japanese internment camps...) but I have decided not to waste my breath -- or rather typing energies to combat imbeciles. I just don't have the time or energy

No comments: