Thursday, August 28, 2008

Idiot and Other Bad Words

WARNING: If you’re like really, really into politics, you might not want to read this post. Seriously. Don’t say I didn’t warn you.

***

The other night Hubby walked into the living room after tucking in D & G. I am sitting on the couch watching TV.

“Whatcha watching?” He asks.

“The Democratic National Convention.”

He looks at the screen. Sure enough, some politician-looking guy is standing in front of a bright blue background talking avidly about something. He’s ALL worked up.

“Why are you watching that?" He mumbles. "Didn’t you know CSI: Something or Other is on?”

I think he thinks he is being coy about attempting to persuade me to change the channel -- mind you, for a different show that he also positively hates. He must really not want to listen to my political ramblings on this particular evening.

I huff and say: “Husband! It’s not every day you get to watch this stuff. This is history in the making.”

He grunts. “Whatever. It seems like a big fat infomercial to me. How many people watch this who aren’t voting democrat? Huh? Huh?! It’s like… propaganda.”

(and CSI is high-quality entertainment?)

I shake my head in disgust. “It’s NOT propaganda. These are REAL people. This could be our next PRESIDENT and VICE PRESIDENT.”

Whatever... He sighs loudly.

He plops down next to me to watch. E joins us. “MOMMY! I don’t want to watch this!” However, she is overruled by history in the making.

Despite herself, E is somewhat sucked in. The excitement on screen is infectious.

Plus they’re promising to do stuff like FIX THE ECONOMY and LOWER GAS PRICES and STOP GLOBAL WARMING. Which all sounds pretty good to me. That's when the teeny-tiny voice in the back of my mind that wonders quietly and my husband wonders aloud, can you really do ALL THAT in four years?

At least CSI is realistically unrealistic.

As Joe Biden starts shouting “JOHN MCCAIN WAS WRONG! BARACK OBAMA WAS RIGHT!” over and over, E looks at me and says, “Mom? Who’s Barack Obama?”

“Well,” I scramble trying to come up with an intelligent answer, “Barack Obama might be our next president. Wouldn't that be exciting?”

“President?” she wrinkles his nose, “Not like the idiot you keep saying you want out of the there now?”

“Umm, well… yes, you could say that, but it's not nice to call people idiots, so let's not use that word, okay?” I tell her.

“Ohhhh.” I can see the wheels turning in E's head and realize I may be in trouble. "But Mom, you call him worse things all the time?"

(Don't you love the moments children choose to be honest?) Hubby gurgles back laughter. "Yeah, Mom. You shouldn't call people BAD words either!"

What can I say? Objectivity is not my bag, baby -- and I am not great at poker faces.

No comments: