Sunday, August 31, 2008

X Marks the Spot. Except When It Doesn't

A friend told me this precious story and I couldn't resist sharing.

One morning her sweet son captured a little spider in his hands and stored it in a bucket that he covered up with rain boots to keep the spider from escaping.

“I have a PET!” he exclaimed in delight.

But, alas, his new pet is a wily little thing, and it escaped.

Never one to give up easily, said son pulled out his construction paper and markers. Mom saw him on the kitchen floor with his head bent over the paper earnestly drawing.

“Whatcha doing, Son?” She asked.

“Making a MAP,” he said.

Several minutes later, the map is complete. Son holds it out in front of him as he follows the dotted line. Past daddy… into the dining room…

“HEY!” he shouted from the living room, “But my spider isn’t HERE!”

I am thoroughly confused. “Huh?” Mom looked at Husband, “Do you know what’s going on?”

He nods. “Son made a map to find his lost spider. And then he followed it. Only it didn’t lead to the spider.”

Son stomped to the table and slapped his map down. “Mommy IT DIDN’T WORK!” he shouted. “HMMPH! That makes me ANGRY!”

So my poor friend had to try and explain to said Son that maps don’t always lead you to where you want to go. Especially when where you want to go is to the location of your escaped pet spider.

No comments: