Wednesday, November 19, 2008

Balance

Everyone is freaking out about our economic crisis and big industries are requesting multi-billion dollar bailouts.

We’re a week away from celebrating Thanksgiving, which should be a time to reflect on our many blessings, yet we’re inundated by Christmas catalogs with the sole purpose of making sure we want more than we already have.

E pours over the catalogs that we receive in droves each day while she picks out what she wants Santa to bring on Christmas Eve and then I feel guilty as I think do we really need any more toys in our packed home?

Do I really need any more clothes in a closet full of things?

What is the balance between my reality and the reality of the kids in Mexico, Somalia, Iraq, China?

Why do I have moments where I fully realize I’ve seen the worst as the pictures of unfortunate children (and adults) pass before my eyes on television and yet still have moments where I feel discontent with what I have?

Am I an idiot?

Don’t answer that. It’s intended to be hypothetical.

1 comment:

Renee said...

This really hit home with me. Great post! It's something we all need to ask ourselves. (ok not the idiot part) :-)