Friday, May 21, 2010

Almost as good as a burger flipper

I don't remember the exact date of my “blogiversary”, but I do believe I have just passed two huge (for me!) milestones. Wait for it… wait for it…

I have now been blogging for over two years AND I have posted over 500 posts.

I suppose that isn’t a big deal to most folks, especially since there are many more accomplished and talented mommy bloggers on the humongously big world wide web, but for me… Wow! Go me!

When I started, I hadn’t written anything in years. I was so tired and busy with all those not-so-lucrative-but-soul-consuming parenting duties of newborn babies. I had read a lot of memoir-ish stuff by writers about my age, writers who, while humorous and amusing and talented and intelligent, were simply relating stories from their everyday journey – my everyday journey.

It was the sort of writing that some people, mainly really out-there feminists, always wring their hands over: “Oh no, young mommies are writing about themselves! How dare they!” As a former militant feminist, it took a lot of soul searching and attitude adjustment for me to admit that I actually wanted TO BE a mommy blogger. Despite my best intentions to not "ONLY" be a mom or housewife that is exactly what I was seeking. It took me years to come to grips with the fact that I no longer desired a high-powered, prestigious career.


I want, more than anything, to be the very best mommy possible and be with my children as much as possible.

For the wee ones are only young once, and for such a very brief time… There may be moments, or entire days, that seem to last an eternity – times when I don’t think I will survive this toddler phase or that preschooler phase. However, the old cliché “this too shall pass” is so very true.

So, instead of finding it discouraging that I was not the “successful, accomplished” adult woman I thought I wanted to grow up to be, I had morphed into something new. And I was inspired. Really, truly inspired. I conciously made the decision to be a mommy and still hold on to my feminist notions and afterall, I could be a mommy blogger too. I had all these hilarious coming-of-age “nothing happens” kind of stories floating around in my old journals, or happening in my daily life. I thought, perhaps, I could just share them and maybe people would actually read and enjoy them, just as I was reading and enjoying other women’s stories.

So, here we are! Over two years and 500+ posts later. It’s not what award winning stuff is made of, but I’ll take it.

After all those years of struggling with it, I’ve found an inner peace and a medium that works for me and I’m simply enjoying writing again. I’ve loved having this little virtual open mic to share my thoughts. Thank you so much for reading!

No comments: