Thursday, July 10, 2008

Pondering the Word "Patriot"

I positively cannot let this go... I try not to rant about politics or the war in Iraq, etc. However, while listening to National Public Radio last week, I heard an EXCELLENT opinion by Daniel Shorr about "Patriotism". It was the best commentary I've heard in forever.

To sum it up, Mr. Shorr said, "In politics, it [the word patriotism] has been CORRUPTED by mis-use as in an 'I-am-more-patriot-than-you' epitaphs."

"Patriotism is not a matter of lapel pins and flags in your front yard and you get to define patriotism for yourself."

Amen! Please take TWO MINUTES and go to the NPR link below to finally hear some sense about what TRUE patriotism is or is not... Thank you, Mr. Shorr, for stating it so well.

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=92211954

No comments: