Friday, July 25, 2008

THAT Word

Oh, sweet friends, we are two thirds of the way thru summer, and I am at my wits end. I am up to my knees in bug spray, sunscreen, sand, dirt and grass clippings. Summer has exploded into my house with a vengeance.

As much as I love the break from the school-year rat race, this year summer is turning out to be quite chaotic too and all the "home time" occasionally presents a challenge.

In particular, there's THAT word my children use, the word that makes me cringe like crazy:

BORED.

"If you're bored, you're boring!" I shout back cheerfully. They just love that.

I'd love to hear from you all about how you combat this issue in your home. Share your general outlook on the subject, or provide a list of specific modes of entertainment that work for your family -- whatever you'd like.

In the past, I have written and posted a list of activities the children may do if I hear the dreaded word. It's a list of every imaginable non-electronic diversion the children and I can think of. We list out every toy, every board game, all imaginary play, EVERYthing, so when the kids get twitchy I can point them to the list.

This year, I'm adding another list. *wicked laugh*

If the first list doesn't get them, then we go to "Mom's List Of Things You Can Do To So You Won't Be Bored". This second list include things like folding towels, picking up your room, practicing math equations, picking weeds from the flower beds, washing the front sidewalk with a toothbrush on your hands and knees while the hot sun bakes their developing little brains, etc.

Oh, yes ma'am.

What are your best tips for helping the kids engaged and busy and happy over the summer? I can't wait to read your ideas. I may print them all out and wallpaper the kitchen with them.

No comments: