Monday, June 8, 2009

No More Junk Food

My precious, little two-year son was sitting on the counter next to the sink in the bathroom as I was getting ready for work last week. The following enlightening conversation was had as we brushed our teeth and applied my make-up. What a hoot!

Darling boy in his sweetest little boy voice, “Mommy. You stay home with me today?”


Me: “No, Honey. I need to go to work today.”

Darling boy - pouting lip stuck out. “No. You stay home.”

Me: “I will be home later this week. I need to go to work today.”

Darling boy: “Why?!”

Me: “Because that’s what they pay me to do.” (I know this was a brilliant response for a two-year old.)

Darling boy: “But WHY?!”

Me: “So I can go to the grocery store and buy our family yummy food.” (I was fairly proud of this response. Seemed logical, right?)

Darling boy: “Oh! Thank you, mommy! I love to eat groceries.”

Thoughtful expression.

Darling boy – places his hands on either side of my face and pulls me nose to nose with him. “We no get junk food! Let’s get healthy grocery like fruit chews, cheese puffs (translation: Cheetos), cake and ummm… maybe a ice cream.”

Moral of the story: Your two-year old may be able to use the word “healthy” and he be familiar with the motherly warning of “No more junk food” but that doesn’t mean he recognizes the actual definitions or meanings behind these concepts.

Pass the “healthy” sour cream and onion potato chips, please!

No comments: