Thursday, June 4, 2009

Peanut Butter Graham Crackers

For whatever reason, I am totally craving comfort foods today. Before I ate lunch, I had a hankering for Beek's Pizza (now defunct, formerly located in So. Mpls). After lunch, I was craving homemade peanut butter cake with peanut butter frosting, a treat my mom made each year for my birthday when I was a child. Being lazy and a bit short on time (not to mention patience), I settled for another, less common treat that we got at our house growing up, peanut butter between two graham cracker halves. It instantly brought back floods of memories.

Taste memories are almost as strong as olfactory (smell) memories for me; here are some favorite foods.

Mom's Kitchen:
* Scotch-roo Bars,
* Kidney Bean Hotdish,
* Taco Hotdish,
* Ice Tea made in the sun,

Cousin Chris' or Great Auntie Shirley's:
* Puppy Chow
* Rolled out sugar cookies
* Homemade Bean Soup
* Homemade Taco Shells

Grandma Blumer's:
* Pickled vegetables (of any variety)
* Fresh vegetables -- straight from the garden, complete with dirt!


There are many others, I’m sure. What taste memories do you have, and who or what do they remind you of?

No comments: