Sunday, June 20, 2010

Because I Said So

Father's Day celebrates fatherhood, paternal bonds, and the influence of fathers in society and is celebrated on the third Sunday of June in at least 55 countries.

In honor of all of the fabulous, fantastic, energetic, hard-working Dads out there, here are a few "Dadisms" and kernels of truth that I've been privy to.

* I'm not sleeping. I'm just resting my eyes.
* Don't ask me. Go ask your mother.
* A little dirt never hurt anyone.
* Because I said so!
* Do I look like a bank?
* Money doesn't grow on trees.
* If I've told you once, I've told you a thousand times. Don't...
* Who said life was fair? Not me!
* I'm not talking just to hear my own voice!
* Stop crying or I'll give you a reason to cry.
* You're only young once.
* You're gonna like it, whether you like it or not!
* Well! If your friend jumped off a bridge, would you?
* What did I just get done telling you NOT to do?
* What do you think this is, your birthday? (Ummm... yes! It was my birthday!)
* Don't make me stop this car!
* What part of NO don't you understand?
* I don't care what other people are doing! I'm not everybody else's father!
* Two wrongs do not make a right.
* Don't use that tone with me!
* Am I talking to a brick wall?
* If I catch you doing that one more time, I'll...
* Were you born in a barn?!



P.S. Do you know the history of Father's Day in the United States? I didn't and found the below info somewhat interesting. (My biggest question is -- WHY did it take over 60 years to officially recognize Father's Day?)

The first observance of Father's Day is believed to have been held on June 19, 1910 in Spokane, Washington. After listening to a church sermon in 1909 about the newly recognized Mother's Day, Sonora Louise Smart Dodd felt strongly that fatherhood needed recognition too. She wanted a celebration that honored fathers like hers -- William Smart, a Civil War veteran who was left to raise his family alone when his wife died giving birth to their sixth child.

It took over 60 years to make the holiday official. In 1913, a bill recognizing Father's Day as an official holiday was introduced in Congress. In 1916, President Woodrow Wilson went to Spokane to speak in a Father's Day celebration and wanted to make it official, but Congress resisted, fearing that it would become commercialized. In 1924, President Calvin Coolidge recommended that the day be observed by the nation, but stopped short of issuing a national proclamation. Two earlier attempts to formally recognize the holiday had been defeated by Congress. In 1957, Maine Senator Margaret Chase Smith wrote a proposal accusing Congress of ignoring fathers for 40 years while honoring mothers, thus "[singling] out just one of our two parents." In 1966, President Lyndon Johnson issued the first presidential proclamation honoring fathers, designating the third Sunday in June as Father's Day. Six years later, in 1972, the day was made a permanent national holiday when President Richard Nixon signed it into law.

No comments: