Monday, June 21, 2010

Little Things

The Wall Street Journal had an interesting article in late April about the little things our spouses do that drive us crazy and how those irritants can wreck a marriage - if we let them. Let’s face it: we’re all guilty of at least a handful of habits that our spouses would banish if they could, and learning how to live with them, adjust to them or work around them proves that growing up never really ends.

(Right, honey? Yes, I know it takes me a million words to say what only needs five words and I occassionally ramble on and on and on forever but, I said I’m working on that. Are you listening? Honey? Just grunt if you hear me? Honey? HONEY?! Answer me, dammit!)

Oh. Sorry. Anyhow...

As parents, we are forever caught up in the frenzy of raising our children -- making sure everybody eats, wears clean clothes (or any clothes some days), gets where they need to be, completes their homework, survives the 1,001 daily dramas. That’s how it should be! But we need to pay a little attention to our marriages, too, so that we can separate the big stuff from the small stuff and remind ourselves why we married our spouses in the first place. After all, if it weren’t for them, most of us never would have gotten into these parenting messes -- I mean wonderlands -- in the first place, right?

Read the article. It’s interesting.

No comments: