Sunday, March 22, 2009

Let's Be Real

Oh my goodness! I just read the most "real" article I have ever had the pleasure of reading about taking anti-depressants, pregnancy and parenting. It is quite a long article, but it so very worth it.

http://www.brainchildmag.com/essays/winter2009_moore.asp

I, just like the articles author, struggled violently with the decision of whether I should (or shouldn't) take anti-depressants while I was pregnant. It is such a double-edged sword. Was it safer for my unborn baby to have a basket case of a mom-to-be or to have anti-depressants passed through my blood stream into theirs? What about my children who were already born?! Was it safer and "healthier" for them to see me as a sniffling, crabby, bitch or as a stable mommy who was content, patient and loving?

Read the article and seriously contemplate the negative stereotypes and bias' our culture still harbors against folks (specifically moms!) who suffer from mental illness.

No comments: