Friday, March 20, 2009

Tell Stories

I like to tell stories. Mostly, I tell my own stories. I like to reflect on motherhood, my childhood, life experiences. I do it because I love to do it. I do it because it has become, in some ways, almost like breathing: automatic, unavoidable, and somewhat necessary. I do it because I believe in it. It is important to make public the lived experiences of motherhood. I think it is crucial to empowering mothers, because it allows us to share, out in the open, where everyone can see, what motherhood is really like -- once we've stripped away the glossy magazine covers and the laundry detergent commercials and the longstanding cultural insistence that family be private… that mothering be private, that we just hush, and not talk about how hard and how terrifying and how utterly, confoundingly, gloriously complicated this whole experience is.

No comments: