Monday, January 12, 2009

Deeper Significance

In our day-to-day lives, toilet paper is pretty inconsequential. It's just a little thing that we rarely give any thought to, unless we run out at an inopportune moment.

A few years ago, my attitude toward toilet paper shifted just a little bit. The change was spurred by a random thought Husband shared with me one day. (He does this a lot, but for some reason, this one really stuck with me.)

So let's look at toilet paper a little more closely, shall we? What IS the deeper significance of toilet paper?

Well, as Husband so accurately pointed out to me - having toilet paper is a sure sign that you are doing just fine financially. First of all, you have the money to purchase something that is just going to be flushed down the toilet. Secondly, if you have the need for toilet paper, that means you are adequately nourished.

It's kind of silly, isn't it?

Yet, it really has shifted my perspective. I am now more likely to pay attention to inconsequential things that I'd otherwise take for granted. I see reasons to be thankful for small things beyond just their intended purpose.

I don't know... maybe you have to be familiar with both sides of the financial fence to have this mean anything. Then again, maybe not. I think we all could use more thankfulness for, and reflection on the little things in our lives. After all, those little things add up to a pretty big total. And being conscious of that definitely works for me.

No comments: