Thursday, January 22, 2009

More Things I Am Working On In 2009

Writing more, right when I have the impulse and fresh inspiration, rather than waiting for a "good" time.
This one is kind of a no-brainer for me, although I've been struggling with it forever. I lost the impulse to grab those little funny moments or things that touched my heart and bring them here, to the place where I can point the kids and say, "See! I totally was mother of the year that year" or "You did too color on every wall in my house at age 3!"

Cutting out the gratuitous profanity in my daily speech.
Oh my &@#*@&!!!@! This hard for me. I am fluent in profanity, and I've become lazy in my descriptive language, often slinging in a salty phrase instead of actually making my brain find something better. I cuss in front of kids too much - and while they can conjugate my most commonly spewed oaths (who's a good mom? WHO?) I'd rather not have them be THOSE kids on the playground.

Taking my health seriously - both emotional and physical health.
I'm tired of being exhausted, mentally and physically, and carrying around a bunch of excess body fat. Our family's lack of daily exercise is taking a toll. Stay tuned for more on this.

Putting my responsibilities to my family and home first, at least most of the time.
I know this should be a big DUH but I am not always a fantastic multitasker. Sometimes, I say yes to too much and then I tend to just put out the closest fire... rather than systematically trimming the vegetation and watching the sparks to prevent the fires in the first place. I have a good start on this, but it is a daily struggle.

Writing real, honest-to-God LETTERS to people who I love but am lazy about staying in contact with, monthly.
Despite my endless championing of keeping in touch, I have been lazy about reaching out - and am realizing how silly it is to waste such emotional energy missing these friends. I just need to pick up a pen! Couple that with the fact that I tend to save letters in a special box in my home, and email just stays in cyber-exile, I think a real letter or card means more. And I'm going to send 'em.

No comments: