Wednesday, January 7, 2009

Gluten Free Dessert

It's hard to find a dessert that's as budget-friendly as it is beautiful. Pavlova is easy and elegant--and all without gluten! Or so I have been told. Here is a recipe that I was given that is supposed to be fail proof. I haven't tried it yet. I am a bit afraid... I will let youknow how it turns out.

1. Whip until foaming: 3 egg whites at room temperature plus 1/4 tsp cream of tartar.

2. Whip in 3/4 cup sugar by the tablespoon until stiff peaks form.
3. Drop dollops of meringue on parchment-covered baking sheet, making a nest 9" in diameter.
4. Bake in preheated 275-degree oven for 1 hour.

5. Leave meringue shell in closed oven for an additional 30 minutes. Handle with care.
6. Fill the inside of the nest with flavored whipped cream, Cool Whip, or even ice cream. Layer with whatever fresh fruit is on sale.

No comments: