Friday, August 13, 2010

Courage, Confidence, Character


I love Girl Scouts! It's a fantastic girl-focused, girl-led organization. Their mission is "build[ing] girls of courage, confidence, and character, who make the world a better place." Doesn't that sum up any parents dream for their daughter?!

In Girl Scouts, girls discover the fun, friendship, and power of girls together. Through a myriad of enriching experiences, such as extraordinary field trips, sports skill-building clinics, community service projects, cultural exchanges, and environmental stewardships, girls grow courageous and strong. Girl Scouting helps girls develop their full individual potential; relate to others with increasing understanding, skill, and respect; develop values to guide their actions and provide the foundation for sound decision-making; and contribute to the improvement of society through their abilities, leadership skills, and cooperation with others.

If you haven't checked into having your daughter join a troop, I strongly encourage you to do so. Many new troops form as the new school year begins.

For more information about how to find a troop in your area, visit the Girls Scouts of USA website and they will help connect you with a local Council office who can then connect you with a local troop.

Or even better CREATE YOUR OWN TROOP!

It's extremely rewarding to be a troop leader. My troop includes 14 (or are we up to 15?) girls who are entering fifth grade this fall. I absolutely adore each of them and their unique talents and personalities. Leading the troop has taught me so much about myself too. I feel as if I learn more from my girls, then they could possibly ever learn from me. I cannot stress enough how rewarding it is to lead this wonderfully awesome group of girls...

If you have any questions, I would be happy to help you in whatever way I can to start your own troop or figure out how to get you connected to your local council office.

No comments: